Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Roadhouse Blues

"Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel" and so it rolls. It is a long journey with many twists and turns. It is a journey where one must find the path and stick to it. I am trapped in transit, meandering to an unknown destination. I wander through night and day. I press on through calm and tempest. I look at the morning rays for new energy to carry on the journey. I look at the shining stars for direction to stay the path on that dark night. I fall asleep, tired and troubled, on my beloved's lap for rejuvenation. I wake up to the laughter of my friends, my fellow travelers on the difficult path. The difficult path made easy by this camaraderie, the journey continues. This interesting journey called life with many stops at the roadhouses. The journey and its roadhouse blues....

"I woke up this morning, I got myself a beer". I don't know my destination and I wander on. I stop at the roadhouse. I get myself a beer. Intoxicated by the sights, sounds and smells of the roadhouse, I think I have reached my destination. I believe this roadhouse is the place to be, until I wake up to the reality. The intoxication wears off, the fleeting joy passes over, disenchantment sets in. I am a traveler, I am a wandering soul, I need to move on. For a while, I thought this roadhouse is where it ends. But, hey, the journey must go on. I am trapped in transit, meandering to an unknown destination. An unknown destination that can thrill your soul. You got to roll, roll, roll.....you gotta thrill my soul, alright. The journey and its roadhouse blues....

"The future is uncertain, and the end is always near". I move from one roadhouse to the next, not knowing what I want or where I am going. From one roadhouse to the next, and each seems more like the previous. It is the the same intoxication, the ephemeral joy and then followed by the same disenchantment. I search for joy more permanent, I search for a destination more real. And one day, Rumi asks "And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself ?" And I wonder, what the real journey is about? Trapped in transit, meandering along halfheartedly..... I cry in anguish. Rumi says " You set out to find God, but then you keep stopping for long periods at mean-spirited roadhouses". Ah! this journey and its roadhouse blues....do you see the light within?

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant piece....Wish you a blissful Journey in 2012...

    ReplyDelete