At the airport last week, I chanced upon the television screen. The news channel was on and the headlines were playing out. In two quick minutes, the news anchor reeled out headline news of five disasters across the globe. Depressing news of war, killings, corruption and airplane crashes. These days, the news is full of this. Good is either not news anymore or there is so very little good going around, I remember thinking. I remember praying for positive energy. I remember praying for peace. I remember, suddenly waking up to the good and being reminded of the beautiful things that happen everyday. The morning rays of the sun, the watercolors in the sky, the chirping crickets of the twilight hour....the magic is there to see and be thankful for. These pictures say it more than a thousand words.
I pray again...join me in this beautiful prayer of St. Francis of Assisi.
- Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
- Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
- Where there is injury, pardon.
- Where there is doubt, faith.
- Where there is despair, hope.
- Where there is darkness, light.
- Where there is sadness, joy.
- O Divine Master,
- grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
- to be understood, as to understand;
- to be loved, as to love.
- For it is in giving that we receive.
- It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
- and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.