Sunday, December 4, 2011

Hand'la glass-u, Glass'la scotch-u, eyes full'a tear-u...

The Kolaveri Di song has gone viral across, breaking million hit records on You Tube and garnering prime-time conversation on television. Big celebrity daddies are either tongue-lashing the song or endorsing it. I saw report that a much respected lyricist called the lyrics an insult to sensibilities. I don't want to get into that debate. I enjoyed the song, period. I had a good chuckle at the lyrics. The music made me tap my feet. My mind was set free. But, recently, what has truly amazed me is the universal appeal of the song. I was dropping my girls off at the school bus and I see a bus load of school children singing the song. I see videos of Barack Obama enjoying the song. So, what makes this song click with a diverse set of folks. Maybe lyrics like "Hand'la glass-u, Glass'la scotch-u, eyes full'a tear-u" ring a bell with most folks!!

Mostly, I think it works because this is a song with no airs about it. It is spontaneous. It is honest. It is from the heart. Creativity comes from an external force that runs through you, it is said. The composers were possessed by a spontaneity that is probably lacking in the world these days. Most of the world today is calculating or calculated. Most of what we see and hear is packaged. Honest and original expressions are few and far in between. Kolaveri D is simply put an original, honest and spontaneous composition. It has the kind of spontaneity and disdain that a heartbroken drunkard can have for this world. Isn't it Hafiz of Persia, the famous Sufi who likened wine and love to losing your self, your ego. Wine lets you forget yourself with no regard for the world, though you wake up with a bad hangover and some shame. Love makes you forget yourself with no regard for what the world thinks of you. And you wake up with a smile. Kolaveri D captures that essence. It makes you forget the world and brings a smile on your face. It shares a simple message about the duality of this life. Love-u and Boov-u. Joy and heartbreak. All of this in a few spontaneous lines. Hand'la glass-u, Glass'la scotch-u, eyes full's tear-u.....Machha...enjoy it....

No comments:

Post a Comment